Would you ever plank over, or do pushups on… a toilet?
You go to a fitness facility to get healthy. You probably never expected to get really sick instead. Here’s the dirt on fitness facilities from a recent study.
Free weights have 362 times more bacteria than a toilet seat. Yep, and that’s just hands on the free weights. What about body fluids, skin and hair on the gym mat?
My husband recently went to a gym and had trouble holding a plank because it was too slippery. All of the sweat and bodily fluids from other people in the mat gurgled up when he put his arms down on the mat used by many. Ew!
What are the nasty things common to fitness facilities that you want to avoid?
- Tinea capitis
- Tinea corporis
- Herpes simplex
- Molluscum contagiosum
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
- Escherichia Coli (E. coli)
- Staphylococcal (staph)
- Furuncles, carbuncles
To avoid becoming sick or seriously ill from lying in other peoples bodily fluids, experts recommend you don’t use mats other people use. Otherwise you may be exposed to a lot of nasty illness, disease and new medical problems you least expect to acquire at a facility promoting health.
Would you do planks or pushups on a toilet seat? Gross? But, if you did would you be much less exposed to viral, bacterial, and fungal medical problems than some things at a gym. YES!?!
Many gyms don’t have the staff or time to properly sanitize. They may hand wipes out for a cursory “clean” by you. A recent study within 3 large national gym chains also found the average gym had:
- 39 Times more bacteria on exercise bikes than re-used plastic cafeteria trays.
- 74 more times bacteria on treadmills than public washroom sinks.
Watch what happens at your fitness facility. Is it completely clean, or …gulp?
Soap and water doesn’t cut it. Neither does using simple cleaning products. Your gym facility should be using a hospital grade cleaner, disinfectant, deodorant, fungicide, virucide that is neutral and doesn’t result in build-up.
At South Surrey Fitness Boutique, for women, we provide you with the mat with YOUR NAME on it. You use it, nobody else does, drop it and go. We clean and fully sanitize your mat before your next workout ! We use a multi-barrier approach to keep all the equipment clean and safe. Yes we have flowers and special scents, but most importantly we keep it IMMACULATE ladies !
Tips To Keep You Safe at your fitness facility:
- Find a fitness facility that has a mat just for you, that nobody else uses but you.
- Bring your own mat.
- Don’t lie directly on community fitness mats. At least place a clean towel on the mat so you avoid direct contact with the community mat. (note that your towel will then pickup germs from the mat and may transfer those germs to your gym bag, you, or anything else it comes into contact with).
- Little wipes are not likely enough. Spray your mat with hospital-grade cleaner that is neutral and does not buildup.
- Let the hospital-grade disinfectant spray sit wet on the surface for 10 minutes to ensure the bacteria is dead.
- Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer, before and after gym, and avoid touching your face during workouts.
- Avoid bare feet in the gym.
- Regularly clean and disinfect your gym bag.